Sunday, June 20, 2010

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins ~ Happy Father's Day!



It’s Father’s Day, June 20, 2010!

Love my dad! I will be visiting him today, with muffins in hand.
He loves these muffins. They are simple to make, taste great AND only 184 calories.
You can switch it up and use different fruit to keep it interesting.

I originally posted this in February 2009.

Got to run…time to celebrate with my dad and family!



Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil

PREPARATION:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
3. Sift together the flour and baking soda.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites, buttermilk, honey and oil until creamy
5. Stir in the blueberries to the mixture.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
7. Fold together with a rubber spatula until the batter is moist, yet remains slightly lumpy.
8. Pour into muffin cups and bake for about 30-35 minutes.

Servings: 12 muffins
Nutritional information for one serving:
Calories: 184
Calories from fat: 60
Total fat: 6.7g
Cholesterol: 1mg
Total carbs: 29.2g
Fiber: 2.8g
Protein: 4.3g
WW points: 4


Happy Father’s Day to all dads!


Peace in Baking,

Carmen

Baking is my Zen…sweet nibbles for the soul

6 comments:

Adventures in Domestic Cooking said...

Oh Blueberry Muffins, what would we do without you!=)

Erica said...

Thank you for sharing, lovely pictures and a delicious recipe,Carmen!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely recipe, Carmen. Your photos are wonderful as well. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Eliana said...

This muffin looks so delicious. Love that it's so healthy too.

sweetlife said...

I enjoy whole what muffins, great recipe, lovely pics

sweetlife

Jen_from_NJ said...

I can't wait to try these with my fresh blueberries! I just added the subscribe to posts atom. Thanks for letting me know! Your blog is beautiful!

DO NOT USE MY PHOTOGRAPHY WITHOUT PERMISSION

ALL PHOTOGRAPHY (UNLESS INDICATED) IN THIS BLOG BELONGS TO CARMEN ORTIZ OF BAKING IS MY ZEN.

PLEASE DO NOT USE MY PHOTOGRAPHY WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

Thank You.

~ Carmen Ortiz - blogger (Baking is my Zen)